Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2011

So I haven't been blogging much lately...

…and I feel like I owe everyone an explanation. When I first came to Rwanda, it was easy to blog about my experiences because everything was new and weird and exciting. But as things become more and more mundane, it’s easy to forget what I’ve already explained or what needs explaining. For example, this morning I had the following conversation in Kinyarwanda with one of my neighbors:

Me: Good morning!
Neighbor: Good morning, Grace. (My neighbors call me Grace if they can’t pronounce “Gelsey.”) Jesus has risen.
Me: He reigns over us all.
Neighbor: What is the news of your family?
Me: Well, my parents were in Rwanda two weeks ago.
Neighbor: Oh yes, I saw them. You must be very happy.
Me: Yes, it was very good to see them.
Neighbor: You have gotten very fat.
Me: Thank you.
Neighbor: God bless you.
Me: Have a nice day.

Now that I have that out in writing I can see at least three things that probably don’t seem normal to anyone back home. I have several conversations exactly like that every day and it never occurred to me to talk about it. So I encourage all of you, please, to email or comment if you have any unanswered questions about Rwanda or my experiences. I probably have answers, it just hasn’t occurred to me to share them.

No comments:

Post a Comment