Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Umwaka Mushya Muhire

Well, happy 2012 all! I'm Musanze for our mid-service conference this week; I jump into teaching an all-new batch of S2 students next week. The past few weeks have flown by. I was invited to attend the swearing-in ceremony for the new education group, so I spent a day in Kigali getting to know the freshman class of volunteers. They're a great group, in some ways much better prepared for life at site than I was when I swore in. They spent pre-service training living with host families instead of in houses with other volunteers so they have already experienced epic amounts of stomach sickness, bug bites and minor infections. That and their Kinyarwanda is alarmingly good.

I spent Christmas in Buhanda visiting a new volunteer at his site along with a few of his neighbors. We collaborated on one of the best Christmas dinners I've ever had - steak tacos with homemade flour tortillas. It only took us ten collaborative hours to bring Mexican food to Rwanda!

After such a long break between terms, it's hard to believe that I'll be teaching again in less than a week. But I'm excited to start. Last year, I started the term with no schedule, no curriculum, no experience, no idea what I was doing - and survived. Who knows what's possible this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment