Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Bless the Rains


It’s raining again.  Raining, after enough dry months to turn the roads to choking red dust, dry up all the water in our rain tankard and raise the price of almost everything at the market.  When it started on Thursday I was so excited I ran outside and did a little dance.  I promptly fell on my butt in front of the gardener, Dina, but he didn’t seem to judge me for it.  He ran over, helped me up and yelled, “Invura yaguye!” The rain is falling! I said “Yep, and me, too.” He didn’t get the joke, but oh well.  It was nice to share my excitement with someone.

After my last post one of you thanked me for the update and said it was good to know how my projects were going, but what about my mental and emotional state?  That’s a harder question.  In general things are fine and I’m happy, but saying that doesn’t really inform anyone of much.  I feel comfortable here, probably more comfortable than I would if I blinked my eyes and found myself back home in California, but there are constant, subtle reminders that I haven’t adapted to Rwanda so much as I’ve learned to take its peculiarities for granted.  When I actually pause to look at things, it’s all still very bewildering.

I’m almost positive the feeling goes two ways.  My village is used to me but my presence is still strange.  It’s all fine and good that the American government sent a volunteer to Gihara to teach English, but why a young woman, and why for two years?  And for God’s sake, if I’m not making any money why would I agree to any of it in the first place?  It makes no sense but they accept it.  After all, I’m clearly not going anywhere until my contract is up.

On Saturday I’ll be taking a vacation in Tanzania.  The plan is to take bus to Dar Es Salaam, then on to Zanzibar from there.  It will be a thirty-hour journey, but according to everyone Zanzibar is worth it.  Of course I’ll tell all about it here as soon as I get back.  In the meantime, here's a picture of the sunrise over my site. Pasika nziza!


No comments:

Post a Comment